Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Life in Africa

Ok, I know, I’m horrible at updating my blog! Sorry!! There has been lots going on around here but it is just hard to put it all into words. Let me just give you a picture of what a typical day for me looks like:
I am working with baby A which is the newborns to about 9 months.
~I wake up (depending on the amount of sleep I get) between 6:30 and 7:30. And eat breakfast which consists of eggs toast and fruit. Then I have a little time to myself where I can do my devotion.
~I go to work with the babies at about 8.Baby A is split into two rooms, one for the older babies and one for the younger. I will walk down into the older room and say hello to everyone and make them laugh and play with them for a little bit. Then I go into the younger room and get whoever is awake out of their cribs and change them and then play and dance and sing with them.
~They get fed every 3-4 hours depending on their age so I will start feeding about 9.
~After they are fed I keep them up for a little bit and make them laugh and keep them entertained until they are tired enough to sleep until their next meal.
~They get fed again about noon and then they go down for another nap and I get a break.
~My break is from 1-4. Usually we will eat lunch together and then head into town or take a nap or read during this time.
~From 4-6 we do outings or projects.
~Outings consist of each of the volunteers here taking a kid and going into town for a soda or a sweetie or going for a walk. Projects are things like scrubbing the cribs or cleaning the rooms, or organizing things.
~Then from 6 till about 7:30 we feed the kids and bathe them and brush their teeth and put them to bed.
~On Saturdays we are basically free to do whatever we want. Usually we will go into town. Sundays we each take a kid to church and then go out for lunch.
So a typical day is a lot of work but it is not too bad. Some days I have had to go to Kampala to take a kid to the doctor which is about a 2 hour drive so that takes up most of the day and then when I get back I am exhausted.
I have seen God in so many different ways here it is amazing! I love being here and meeting all new people and hanging out with the other volunteers. They have become such great friends of mine and we all get along so well! Right now the thought of leaving this place someday soon is heartbreaking. I don’t even want to think about it. As much as I miss my family (especially my sister) I am so in love with everything here it’s going to be hard to have to leave it all. But for now I am thankful for everyday that I have here!
Thank you for all of your prayers! Please continue to pray for the Keck’s, Mayernick’s, Oatsvall’s, Doyle’s, and Hannah’s as they are all in the process of adopting.

3 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Thank you for serving!

Praying for you!

anna said...

What a blessing you are Curry...

Much love and many prayers

anna

Gwen Oatsvall said...

we are praying for you too ... love you !!! can't say enough how thankful I am for you ... bought me 3 sign language books today !!!